By Abraham Rabinovich
The unification of Jerusalem following the Six Day conflict marked a brand new bankruptcy within the city's 4,000-year historical past, as Arabs and Jews adjusted after wars to existence and not using a border among them.
Jerusalem used to be reworked in this interval from an city backwater right into a brilliant urban necessary of its identify. Amidst the swirl of non secular and political passions unleashed by means of unification, eccentricity discovered fertile floor. during this evaluation, Jerusalem in the world lingers on people who, of their targeted, occasionally extraordinary, personalities and global perspectives, mirror the varied and very human concoction that was once, and is, post-1967 Jerusalem.
Abraham Rabinovich coated the town beat for a decade as a reporter for The Jerusalem Post.
• An arsonist who units fireplace to Jerusalem's al-Aksa Mosque, 3rd holiest website in Islam, comes just about touching off a brand new warfare. The worst is avoided whilst the perpetrator is chanced on to be now not an Israeli yet a psychotic sheepshearer from Australia who needs to be anointed king.
• The Vatican, in an unparalleled circulate, sues certainly one of its personal non secular orders in a Jerusalem courtroom, either side represented via a Jewish attorney who's professional in canon law.
• An ultra-religious Jew who crossed into Jordan as a tender guy to hunt hands for a rebel opposed to the secular Zionist nation, engages his former prosecutor 3 many years later in a debate at the German thinker Nietzsche prior to a packed Jerusalem hall.
• An Arab student enamored of the Hebrew language publishes the 1st Arabic translation of the Mishna, the traditional compilation of Jewish legislation. Its descriptions of everyday life in antiquity evoke in him nostalgia.
• The homicide of 2 nuns, a mom and daughter, in a Jerusalem convent briefly suspends hostilities among the 'White' Russian church in East Jerusalem and the 'Red' Russian church in West Jerusalem.
• In what psychologists may come to name the 'Jerusalem Syndrome', a few travelers are in short hospitalized every year after succumbing to the city's air of mystery and assuming the personality of biblical figures.
• Danish-born Sister Abraham, who speaks 15 languages and navigates the town on a bicycle, turns into the 1st white girl to be accredited as a nun within the Ethiopian church. She writes a booklet and solves a mystery.
• A police agent despatched into the Mea Shearim sector to penetrate a militant ultra-orthodox fringe makes astonishing friends.
• A maverick American architect, preventing off in Jerusalem with a backpack and comic strip publication, derails significant construction tasks and saves the city's skyline ahead of relocating on.
• Arab and Jewish underworlds are one of the first sectors to affix forces after the struggle. The police will not be a long way in the back of, with joint Arab-Jewish patrols.
• a unprecedented inspect the internal sanctums of the Hassidic global as road battle breaks out among feuding factions.
• A rabbi and an Arab village leader meet within the Mount of Olives cemetery to debate which has priority—the rights of the lifeless or the rights of the living.
Through all of it, we watch Mayor Teddy Kollek preside over town with ability, wit and a defiant conviction that unification of the 2 Jerusalems can paintings.